Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Age of Consent in Indiana is 14 as of July 1, 2007!!!!!!!

'Romeo and Juliet' law starts
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/LOCAL/707090367

I have been out of town and so I missed this if it was in the Indy Star paper. My dh told me to turn on the O'Reilly Factor on Fox News this evening to see a blurb about this law. I could not believe that it went into effect on July 1! I am outraged!!!! Did anyone see this in the paper? The article was actually written for the Journal & Courier in Lafayette. It has been distributed via the Associated Press, but not very widely. I feel that this law requires action on our part as parents, as this portion of the law simply encourages our young people to be sexual active without the possiblity of consequences.

I am composing a letter to our congressmen to protest this law and request its amendment. This may not do much good as the law was passed 98-2 on the 3rd reading reading in the Indiana House http://www.ai.org/legislative/bills/2007/PDF/Hrollcal/0313.PDF.pdf and 44 to 5 in the Indiana Senate http://www.ai.org/legislative/bills/2007/PDF/Srollcal/0402.PDF.pdf .

After reading the bill itself, it is evident that this is a line-item addition to a bill that has some very important changes. Most of the legislators probably were either willing to allow this addition to pass in order to get the rest of the items in to law or were ignorant of its inclusion.

It is so sad to see another reason why our society is out of whack and that we need to be so vigilant for our children's well-being.

I'm off my soap box now.

No comments: