Thursday, September 20, 2007

The $80 Tote


I made this tote for my sil. She had a baby girl, very healthy and so pretty!

This bag is for her, not just to be a baby bag. Unless she wants to use it as such. I wanted to give her a gift, as usually when a baby is born, almost all of the presents are for the newborn.

I made the bag out of Sugar 'N Cream yarn. I added rigidity by creating an inner shell of plastic mesh and then lined it with fabric. The response was fantastic. Both of my sils, including the one who had the baby, loved the bag.

The one who was not pregnant suggested I make them to sell. She commented she would pay $70 - $80 for one. Well, she won't have to, as she is getting one for her birthday. It made me, think, anyway.

(Another surprise was that my mil praised my work and suggested I make things to sell in craft shows before Christmas.

The pattern is free, found here. It was negotiated as being a free pattern from Lion Brand as it is included in the book HOOKED BAGS, from Creative Publishing international.

I left off the back pockets and the button clasp due to time.

The next one will be a dark brown base with light blue piping.

On to the next project! The work never ends!!!!

No comments: